Monday, February 16, 2009

Interesting books cataloged on Feb. 16th

  • The collectors by David Baldacci [PS3552 .A446 C65 2006] - I've never read anything by this author, but... a suspense story involving the Library of Congress and a rare book? Could be my kind of thing.
  • The dumbest generation : how the digital age stupefies young Americans and jeopardizes our future (or, don't trust anyone under 30) by Mark Bauerlein [HQ799.7 .B38 2008] - I list this as an interesting book, because it is, but I doubt I'll be reading it - just skimming its contents has the potential to raise my blood pressure. I'm not that old, but I feel old sometimes when I find myself amazed (and not always in a good way) by some of the things that high school students and undergraduates do or don't do. I don't have nearly as low an opinion of their abilities as this author seems to, however. I'm also not inclined to put all the blame in the same place he does. I think I'd have lots of fun arguing with this guy, if the blood vessels in my head didn't explode first.

2 comments:

  1. The Collectors is another one I (or more specifically my husband) donated to the library.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete